Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 07:03:19 -0700

Daniel,

You make some good points, but I'm not paid by the hour! DBCA is OK for beginners, but I like to use a script so that I can hit all the functionality. As for COST, of course it works great for function-based indexes, query rewrite, partitioning, bitmap-join indexes, but if I want a straight NL with index scans on the join keys with one index scan on the driving table, COST seems to outsmart itself more often than not. For skewed columns, it works great. The whole concept behind COST is to LEAN AWAY from indexes when you're joining entire tables. Still, RULE is useful is certain situations, and if Oracle decides to desupport it, I'll kill them. I was able to increase system performance on one DB 20 times by simply changing to RULE -- COST kept doing hash joins when only a few rows were selected and the column was indexed!!!

Domenic. Received on Fri Sep 12 2003 - 09:03:19 CDT