Re: Tom kyte's New book

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:56:59 +0000

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:07:34 -0400, Thomas T wrote:

> Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
> was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.

Performance Tuning 101 by Vaidyanatha et al is excellent. I found one small bug in the description of how an SQL command is parsed, but so far, nothing else has lept out at me. It teaches tuning properly and NOT by the use of assorted ratios - for example, buffer hit ratio - so beloved of other tuning books.

> Any other no-myth-all-reality books I should know about?

As already mentioned, Jonathan Lewis' book.

I'd also recommend the 'Beginning Oracle Programming' by Sean Dillon, Tom Kyte et al. Don't be mislead by the title as it covers the workings of Oracle in great detail. Available soon/now from APress (www.apress.com) - drop them an email if you don't see it on the web page. It was a Wrox Press book but their parent company went belly up and APress now have it.

Cheers,
Norman.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.