Re: OT - with PL/SQL in 10G,

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 22:15:56 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote

> forgive me the cynical approach.

Know it all too well myself. :-)

> But I've heard the "this time it's
> so much better" mantra from Oracle so many times before, I'll have to
> sit back and smirk.
>
> Way past the stage where I could get excited at a new X$ view here
> and there. Or any of the RAC stuff. Or how few dba resources are
> gonna be needed from now on. Or how cheap it's gonna be now.

My first run with OPS on a MPP was pretty kewl. Not that we did not have our share of bugs and stuff. But then that is what I enjoy. Technical challenges. Make it too easy... <yawn> :-)

And I'm sure Oracle 10G will have them. Together with brand new ways to skin the cat.

> When 9i came out and everyone was foaming at the mouth over it, I
> gave it a year. Tops. Bingo, 9ir2 sure did come out with heaps of
> bug fixes and making most of the new stuff truly usable. It created
> its own string of bugs and problems, though. And many unfound ones,
> which we'll learn about as people start using it. Most likely what will
> happen with 10 as well.

Very likely true. But I see new versions as something to enjoy. To take apart and see how it ticks. Now you know why I also were an ISV beta tester for Microsoft in the distant past. :-)

> I'll be going to the launch thingie here. Promises to be a good show,
> if we don't get a bomb scare like the US.

Yeah.. read about that. In many ways it was a different world before 9/11.

--
Billy