Re: Choosing between Solaris and HP-UX 11i

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 14:49:26 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063292020.908128_at_yasure>...
> KJD wrote:
>
> >My organization is embarking on a large Oracle based system utilizing
> >9iAs and Oracle 9iR2. The system is a mission critical OLTP
> >application that will go live mid-year next year. Hardware platform
> >is still under evaluation. I want to gather some feedback from the
> >group on the choice between HP-UX 11i running on itanium or SUN
> >Solaris. Which of the two can deliver better on Oracle reliability,
> >scaleability, high availability, support, and ease of administration.
> >
> >Rgds,
> >
> >KJ
> >

> I have both Sun, HP and IBM equipment and at the moment prefer AIX 5L
> over both of the other two. It's ability to resize partitions on-the-fly
> is breathtaking. With HP you can do it. With Sun you have to rebuild the
> entire machine (at least as of vesion 8).
>
> Unlike Sybrand my experience with fried RAM has been that HP has
> problems and Sun does not so it may just depend on which machines,
> purchased in what year, and luck (good or bad).
>
> I'd suggest contacting both, or all three, vendors and negotiating the
> best possible pricing and support and then just sit back and let it go.
> But equally important is the availability of good SysAdmin support
> in-house. What resources do you have? How about in your community. Great
> HP hardware with an SA that doesn't know what SAM is won't get you very far.

I also have lots of experience on hp and sun, and I have seen both have hardware problems, both new and when aged, even with proper maintenance. The more, uh, "memorable" issues have been on Sun. On the other hand, has Itanium really been around long enough to judge? I'm not convinced that Linux has proven itself for HA use yet (so, like, whatever happened at Orbitz, anybody ever find out?). I used to think IBM put out solid stuff, until that disk drive debacle last year.

Daniel's last paragraph really nails it, though. Management funding and support over the entire life cycle is the biggest determinant of success, and you must build good relationships with the vendors. Buick, Mercury or Chrysler, matters not if you never change the oil.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://pebblebeachconcours.com/concept2002/concept.htm