Re: Holy Smoke!

From: Pablo Sanchez <honeypot_at_blueoakdb.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 16:05:23 GMT

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:3f6050f7$0$14559$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au:

> Which has proven to be WAY TOO MUCH for the simple projects
> that make up 90% of development out there. So what do we go and
> do? Once again, we replace instead of evolve. And we go backwards
> with an over-simplifying "doctrine".
>
> Nothing like swimming in circles and convince ourselves it's a
> spiral...

Boy you really hit the nail dead-on! I was on a project recently that
had a UML specification that must have gone on for at least 200 pages (single sided mind ya) and I looked at it for a bit and asked the 'architect', do you have a web mock-up? He said, yeah, here it is.

Using the mock-up plus some questions to the architect, I was able to design the ERD (small app: 30 tables) and crank out the stored procedures (around 10,000 lines of code - a lot of white space and inline documentation) in short order.

I never looked at the spec again. <g>

I don't mind a UML approach where the modeler has a given screen and states what are the expected inputs and outputs and what we do on error conditions. Keep it nice and tidy.

--
Pablo Sanchez, Blueoak Database Engineering
http://www.blueoakdb.com