Re: Holy Smoke!

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 20:39:10 +1000

"Stu Charlton" <stuartc_at_mac.com> wrote in message

> Ambler has been trying for quite some time to get into the "guru" game
> - there were those "Process Patterns" books, for example. Now he's
> jumped on the Agile alliance bandwagon, but doesn't seem to actually
> get "KISS"... 5+11+7+13+8 ... ouch.

He's never got it...

> Though given the unique perspective here, I'd be interested in what
> people thought of the whole agile process idea, i.e.
> http://www.agilealliance.com/home and http://agilemanifesto.org .

Sounds to me like an over-reaction to the stifling Rational garbage. This industry continues to refuse to let perfectly working models evolve. It always has to "replace", never "evolve".

Instead of evolving the perfectly "debugged" and efficient methods of design of the 70s and 80s, they went and re-invented the wheel, what am I saying, they went and re-invented *the universe* with Rational and UML. Result? A monumental piece of overhead that can only please "gods".

Which has proven to be WAY TOO MUCH for the simple projects that make up 90% of development out there. So what do we go and do? Once again, we replace instead of evolve. And we go backwards with an over-simplifying "doctrine".

Nothing like swimming in circles and convince ourselves it's a spiral...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto