Re: Automatic startup of multiple instances on one Win2k-Machine??

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:04:17 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063153988.302670_at_yasure>...
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>

>>>"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

>>>sounds

>>>True: 9iAS has instances, too. But they are not the same instances as we are
>>>used to on the back end. Your quote appears to refer to 9iAS.
>>>
>>>And yes, I've complained about it in the past, but I'm not sure what you
>>>*would* call an, er, 'occasion' of an install of 9iAS.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>HJR
>>>

>>It appears that marketing at Oracle has way too much time on its hands
>>when it comes to renaming products.
>>
>>SQL*Forms to Oracle Forms to Developer to Developer/2000 to Developer
>>Suite to Internet Developer Suite
>>or the constant rename of Context to Intermedia to Oracle Text to ....
>>or my personal favorite .... is it a pfile, parameter file, init.ora,
>>initSID.ora, ....
>>
>>But when it comes to words like BLOCK and INSTANCE they seem to be
>>snorting Novocaine.
>>Taking the same word and reusing it to mean wholly different and
>>incompatible things.
>>

>If it were totally different, that wouldn't be such a bother -
>"instance" is used in some OS contexts, for example, so there is not
>much clash. But in EM, for example, they've got "standalone
>instances", which explode into a collection of application server
>thingies. So they shoulda named it something descriptive of such a
>collection, like Application Server Set, or ASS. EM should have been
>called, Keen Interactive Server Supervisory Manager Application, of
>course.
>
>Fortunately, I'm avoiding the farm and cluster jokes.
>
>:-)
>
>jg
>--
>@home.com is bogus.
>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/business/news_1b10music.html

Well it seems to me that with this much interest from the user community Mark Townsend has no choice but to
explain to us why such colorful acronyms are not being incorporated and we get stuck with words like 'block'
being reused ad nauseum. How about it Mark? ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)