Re: Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:57:29 -0400

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3f5f3442$0$254$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...

> "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f5f2e55$1_at_rutgers.edu...

> > "Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message

> > everything
> > > >
> > > Uh oh. Does the thread title "Oracle Myths" ring any bells?
> > >

> > Ed, why is that so? I thought that multiple tablespaces spread across
> > multiple drives improved performance; that a single drive's read/write
> heads

> > weren't jumping all over the hard drive.
>
> That is correct. The myth is that you should specifically separate indexes
> and tables, rather than for example parent and child tables or two
different
> indexes etc. Incidentally you have no way at all of stopping drive heads
> from jumping all over the drive because that is what they do. You do have
> ways of measuring io on individual segments and separating segments that
> contend for IO - typically but not always the segments that experience
> heaviest IO.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Niall, thanks! I also found the discussion on this group from April 2002, which helped. And after searching google.com for Oracle myth, I'm finding a wealth of "initially disturbing" information- including discussions from this group, and webpages like
http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v3/0302_F.htm . Strange to see how even the Oracle docs were wrong...

-Thomas Received on Wed Sep 10 2003 - 12:57:29 CDT