Re: Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:25:06 +0100

"Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f5f2e55$1_at_rutgers.edu...
> "Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:09:16 -0400, "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote:
> >
> > >Also, were separate tablespaces used for indexes & tables? Or is
> everything
> > >in one tablespace?
> > >
> > Uh oh. Does the thread title "Oracle Myths" ring any bells?
> >

> Ed, why is that so? I thought that multiple tablespaces spread across
> multiple drives improved performance; that a single drive's read/write
heads
> weren't jumping all over the hard drive.

That is correct. The myth is that you should specifically separate indexes and tables, rather than for example parent and child tables or two different indexes etc. Incidentally you have no way at all of stopping drive heads from jumping all over the drive because that is what they do. You do have ways of measuring io on individual segments and separating segments that contend for IO - typically but not always the segments that experience heaviest IO.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA