Re: Help with 9i install problem on E450 running Solaris 2.8

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:28:27 -0700

SteveW wrote:

>I've downloaded Oracle and have installed 9i on my machine. There was
>no previous instance of Oracle running. I get through the install, and
>it appears that the server is running in that the processes are up,
>including the listener. When I try to connect with sqlplus I get this
>message:
>bash-2.03$ sqlplus
>
>SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Sep 9 14:41:59 2003
>
>Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
>Enter user-name: system
>Enter password:
>ERROR:
>ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>

>Enter user-name:
>

>I've got 4gb of RAM. My settings match what was in the install doc:
>
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
>set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
>
>set semsys:seminfo_semmap=100
>set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
>set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1024
>set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=256
>set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=500
>set semsys:seminfo_semume=100
>
>Can someone help with some ideas on what may be wrong, or a link to
>read more?
>
>Thanks,
>/SteveW

I'm glad to see you read the installation docs. That is quite rare. Congratulations.

Did you create a .profile with ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, and ORACLE_SID? Did you run the .profile?
Did you reboot after setting those kernel parameters? Did you start the listener?
Did you verify it was running? lsnrctl status Did you start the database?
Did you verify it was running? ps -ef | grep ora

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu