Re: SYSTEM Tablespace is FULL

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:32:26 +1000

"Hari Om" <hari_om_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1d5ebe4.0309091043.6c06fffe_at_posting.google.com...
> THANKS Biran and Daniel for your replies.
> I would try NOT to repost in different threads. My apologies.
>
> Here is the experient/research I did - please guide me:
>
> I created the DB Manually using a "plain vanilla" script which ONLY
> mentions datafiles, loggroups and UNDO Tablespace. It then created
> "vanilla" DB for me. I then executed the scripts "CATALOG.SQL" and
> "CATPROC.SQL" to populate the data dictionary.
>
> Here is what I see:
> USING DBCA to Create Database:
> SCHEMAS created are:
> CTXSYS, HR, MDSYS, ODM, ODM_MTR, OE, OLAPSYS, ORDPLUGINS, ORDSYS,
> OUTLN,PM,PUBLIC,QS,QS_ADM,QS_CBADM,QS_CS,QS_ES,QS_OS,SCOTT,SH,SYS,
> SYSTEM,WKSYS,XDB
>
> TABLESPACES Created are:
> CWMLITE,DRSYS,EXAMPLE,INDX,ODM,SYSTEM,TEMP,TOOLS,UNDOTBS1,USERS,XDB
>
> USERS CREATED ARE: DBCA CREATES AROUND 30 USERS.

> CREATING DB MANUALLY
> When I create DB Manually, here are my staticis:
> SCHEMAS Created are ONLY:OUTLN,PUBLIC,SYS,SYSTEM
> USERS Created are ONLY: DBSNMP,OUTLN,SYS,SYSTEM.PUBLIC
> TABLESPACES Created are ONLY: SYSTEM,UNDOTBS1
>
> Also, using DBCA my SYSTEM TBLSPC holds around 400MB space and if I
> create DB Manually, it holds only 150MB
>
> If you compare the above staticis, you will notice a BIG Difference.
> So my question is if I create DB Manually, WILL I MISS ANYTHING....?
> Can I simply IGNORE the "extra" stuff which DBCA Created for me.... by
> creating DB Manually instead....?
>
> Any related informaiton on this is appreciated.

Just one piece of advice: try and learn to use DBCA properly. It does not *force* you to have a 400MB SYSTEM tablespace, nor to have the extra 30 users.

Instead of selecting to create the Data Warehouse, OLTP or General database templates, try using the 'New Database' option. And on the penultimate screen, try clicking around the tablespaces displayed on the left-hand side of the screen, and use your fingers and keyboard to adjust the proposed size of datafiles (and redo logs) on the right-hand side of the screen.

And if you don't want the 30 extra users, make sure you de-select the various options, such as XML database, Sample Schemas, interMedia and such like on one of the earlier screens that you get displayed.

It isn't difficult, is entirely 100% configurable, and gets things more correct a darn'd site more easily than any manual creation efforts you can possibly come up with. I grew up with the command line way of doing it, and can do it in my sleep... but I haven't manually created a database for months, because dbca is so good.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Sep 09 2003 - 15:32:26 CDT