Re: SYSTEM Tablespace is FULL

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:10:53 GMT

If you create the database manually, then you will have a fully functional database. Personally, I never use the DBCA to create a database (except on Windows). You will only "miss" something if you attempt to use some functionality that was not installed with the manual db creation. For instance, the CTXSYS schema is used by ConText (now called Oracle interMedia). If you do not use ConText, then you won't be missing this. If you create a database manually, and you need ConText, then you can always add it at a later time by running appropriate scripts (usually found in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin, but not always).

HTH,
Brian

Hari Om wrote:

> THANKS Biran and Daniel for your replies.
> I would try NOT to repost in different threads. My apologies.
>
> Here is the experient/research I did - please guide me:
>
> I created the DB Manually using a "plain vanilla" script which ONLY
> mentions datafiles, loggroups and UNDO Tablespace. It then created
> "vanilla" DB for me. I then executed the scripts "CATALOG.SQL" and
> "CATPROC.SQL" to populate the data dictionary.
>
> Here is what I see:
> USING DBCA to Create Database:
> SCHEMAS created are:
> CTXSYS, HR, MDSYS, ODM, ODM_MTR, OE, OLAPSYS, ORDPLUGINS, ORDSYS,
> OUTLN,PM,PUBLIC,QS,QS_ADM,QS_CBADM,QS_CS,QS_ES,QS_OS,SCOTT,SH,SYS,
> SYSTEM,WKSYS,XDB
>
> TABLESPACES Created are:
> CWMLITE,DRSYS,EXAMPLE,INDX,ODM,SYSTEM,TEMP,TOOLS,UNDOTBS1,USERS,XDB
>
> USERS CREATED ARE: DBCA CREATES AROUND 30 USERS.

> CREATING DB MANUALLY
> When I create DB Manually, here are my staticis:
> SCHEMAS Created are ONLY:OUTLN,PUBLIC,SYS,SYSTEM
> USERS Created are ONLY: DBSNMP,OUTLN,SYS,SYSTEM.PUBLIC
> TABLESPACES Created are ONLY: SYSTEM,UNDOTBS1
>
> Also, using DBCA my SYSTEM TBLSPC holds around 400MB space and if I
> create DB Manually, it holds only 150MB
>
> If you compare the above staticis, you will notice a BIG Difference.
> So my question is if I create DB Manually, WILL I MISS ANYTHING....?
> Can I simply IGNORE the "extra" stuff which DBCA Created for me.... by
> creating DB Manually instead....?
>
> Any related informaiton on this is appreciated.
>
> Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3F5CA71A.FC41E6E4_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > > BTW: Can't we stop cross-posting this one? It has nothing to do with
> > > c.d.o.misc or tools. Lets kill these other threads.
> >
> > Too often, I get caught on this....I first visit c.d.o.m and answer
> > threads there. Then, I come over to c.d.o.s and see the same thread.
> > Sometimes, there are even replies that add more information that I wish
> > I would have seen before I responded. And when I hit 'Reply' in my
> > newsreader, I don't often see that it is crossposted. I guess I have to
> > do a better job of that.....
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brian

Brian Peasland