Re: Enabling Archivelog mode, Oracle7- any issues?

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:10:21 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:3f570df5$0$14563$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f565f45$1_at_rutgers.edu...
> > Or should I just get a jump on things and add log_archive_dest to the
> > init.ora before I even put the database into archivelog mode? Then I'd
> just
> > say "alter system archive log start"? (I believe this to be the right
> > answer...?)
>

> You believe correctly.
>
> The reason the doco doesn't say to add the "to" bit to the 'alter system
> archive log start' command is that there is a default directory where it
> ends up. It varies, I think, from platform to platform, but generally
seems
> to be (from memory) ORACLE_HOME/dbs/archive. If you end up with some
> archived logs there, and some others in a different place because you
> eventually get round to changing the log_archive_dest parameter, then it
> isn't going to kill you.
>
> But the simplest thing to do is to get log_archive_start and
> log_archive_dest set in your init.ora when you do your next cold backup.
> When you restart your database, they will be set and ready to go. If on
the
> way to restarting your database, you were to stop off in mount state, and
> issue the alter database archivelog command, then by the time you issue
the
> alter database open command, everything will already be working.
>

> > *One more question, while I'm at it. It looks like, once the archived
> logs
> > get put onto tape, I can delete them from the disk. I'd like to delete
> them
> > after 48 hours. Does that sound reasonable?
>
> Sort of. The more you can keep on disk, the happier you'll be (On the
> grounds that restoring from tape can be a pain in the bottom, and
recoveries
> done from disk will be quicker, generally, than those from tape. Depends
on
> your tape drive, of course!), But the principle is that you can delete
> anything if you've got a copy of it somewhere else first.
>
> >Or should I just leave them on
> > the disk, keep an eye on disk usage, and delete old logfiles as I see
fit?
> > What if I need to recover (unlikely!) 96 hours previous- would I restore
> the
> > previous 48 hours of log files back onto the disk, and that, along with
> the
> > current 48 hours, would give me my total 96 hours to recover from?
>
> Correct.
>

> > Sorry to ask so many questions but I can't seem to find any of this in
the
> > literature I've read...
>
> I feel I've failed, in that case. But a new paper is on its way, anyway,
and
> I'll take these comments into mind when doing it.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Actually, your document expressed the information in a more clear manner then the books I'd read. It matched my notes (from my readings) so closely that I felt much more sure of myself (aside from the above questions) that I was running the right commands in the right order- so it was definately the most helpful! Plus, the copy I was referring to was probably out of date; it's revision 4.0.1, dated 22/05/2000. Combine that with running an old version of Oracle (7.3), and I can't complain!

I enabled archive log last week, and everything's going smoothly. I just have to finish writing my scripts to take certain tablespaces offline on certain days; I plan to spread the tablespace backup across a week's worth of tapes. I'll just take a cold backup on Friday nights (really Saturday morning) instead of every day.

I might change that opinion... seems like Monday's our busiest day for reporting. In that case, I might just take an export for the Friday tapes, and do a cold backup during the middle of the week (to keep the library and buffer cache filled with useful data).

Thanks again,

-Thomas Received on Tue Sep 09 2003 - 14:10:21 CDT