Re: This small query kills oracle 9.2.0.3 (nightmare)

From: Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2003 15:50:49 -0700

Actually this small query is used by dbms_stats.gather_table_stats(). I agree otherwise it doesn't have sense. I have forgotten to remove the 1980 partition. That's only a small detail.

Finally we managed to isolate the problem. The problem is with sort_area_size and sort_area_retained_size. They are large 80M and 40M. Some queries retrieve 500M data. At Oracle nobody paid attention to them until this morning. On Oracle 9 these parameters (on our system) don't work very well. We had to set pga_aggregate_target instead. I read an Oracle note saying that parameters like "_area_size" should not be used from version 9. Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 17:50:49 CDT