Re: Creating DB Manually

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:01:00 +1000

"Hari Om" <hari_om_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1d5ebe4.0309080810.5725427_at_posting.google.com...
> Creating DB Manually
>
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to create a Database Manually (without using DBCA)
> I already have a database running called "BILL"
> I want to creat a database manually called "GATES"
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1) Copied initBILL.ora file (/oracle/data1/admin/bill/pfile/) to
> initGATES.ora (/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/)
>
> 2) Modified the following parametsrs in above file:
> DB_NAME = GATES
> background_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/bdump
> core_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/cdump
> user_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/udump
> control_files=("/oracle/data1/gates/control01.ctl",
> "/oracle/data1/gates/control02.ctl",
> "/oracle/data2/gates/control03.ctl")
> instance_name=gates

This has nothing to do with your particular error, which arises simply because you haven't logged on a privileged user, but you will run into some other errors if you don't sort out a couple of other parameters.

Specifically, your BILL database probably has rollback segments or an undo tablespace. In which case, those things will be mentioned in the initBILL.ora, and they won't be correct for the new database you're about to create. You therefore need to comment out any parameter you see called 'ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS=xxxx' or 'UNDO_TABLESPACE=xxxx'.

(You will of course have to add in rollback segments to the new database once it's been created, or an undo tablespace, and then you can uncomment these lines).

Also, watch out for REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE. If that's there, you'll need a new password file created before you start. If you, the user Hari, are a member of your Unix box's dba group, then you should change that to read REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=NONE. If you aren't a member of the dba group, you will have to use the oradim executable to create a password file from scratch, or copy the ''orapwBILL" file to something called "orapwdGATES", and leave the parameter set to EXCLUSIVE.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 16:01:00 CDT