Re: Creating DB Manually

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:04:31 -0400

Originally posted by Hari Om

> Creating DB Manually

> Hello,

> I wanted to create a Database Manually (without using DBCA)

> I already have a database running called "BILL"

> I want to creat a database manually called "GATES"

> Here is what I did:

> 1) Copied initBILL.ora file (/oracle/data1/admin/bill/pfile/) to

> initGATES.ora (/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/)

> 2) Modified the following parametsrs in above file:

> DB_NAME = GATES

> background_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/bdump

> core_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/cdump

> user_dump_dest=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/udump

> control_files=("/oracle/data1/gates/control01.ctl",

> "/oracle/data1/gates/control02.ctl",

> "/oracle/data2/gates/control03.ctl")

> instance_name=gates

> 3) At OS (IBM AIX 5.1) Prompt I do:

> export ORACLE_SID=gates

> 4) I execute "./sqlplus /nolog

> 5) Issued Startup command as followsS:

> startup nomount pfile=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/initgates.ora

> I get following Error message wonder why:

> --------

> SQL> startup nomount

> pfile=/oracle/data1/admin/gates/pfile/initgates.ora

> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

> --------

> Once the above command is successful, I can then run "CREATE DATABASE

> Command"....but how do I proceed from here?

> (In book it says in step 4- above Start SVRMGR and connect as

> internal)

> Is the above sequence of steps proper...?

> Any related information is appreciated!

> THANKS!
You forgot to create the password file.

I am assuming it's version 9i. After the step where you copy and modify the init file, do this.

  1. Create password file

    $ORA_HOME/bin/orapwd file=$ORA_HOME/dbs/orapw<SID> password=password

2) export ORACLE_SID=<SID>

3) Create a script e.g. called create.sql with,

    startup nomount pfile=<init.ora file>

    create database <SID>

4) $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus /nolog

    SQL> connect SYS/password as SYSDBA

    SQL> @create.sql

Optionally add new SID entry in oratab file.

Regards

/Rauf