Re: Query for Top 10 Most "Expensive" Queries

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:29:21 -0700

Billy Verreynne wrote:

>I personally believe that programming is an art form and not a skill.
>It cannot be learned or taught. You are either born with the inherant
>ability to be a Programmer, or you are not. It is like having a talent
>for music, or sculpture or painting...
>
>Unfortunately, in today's market programming is a lost art, and
>programmers are a dime a dozen.
>

>--
>Billy

As an instructor I can tell you from experience that you are incorrect. Programming is a skill. Great programming adds artistic talent to the skill. Most of the time I'd be happy to see a bit more skill. And the skill is something that is taught and learned.

The problem today is that most people became programmers by self-annointing themselves after banging around in Basic, VB, or MS Access. They convinced some less than skilled manager to let them work on an Oracle or other major project ... and have been making messes ever since.

A cram course for an OCP is not training. But you'd be hard pressed to convince a lot of people of that fact. They build a few tables and call themselves developers.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu