Re: Query for Top 10 Most "Expensive" Queries

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 7 Sep 2003 22:41:08 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote

> When was that? 20 years ago, I made quite a good living untangling or
> replacing the crappy spaghetti that passed for code, done by barefoot
> Garfield wannabees. And don't get me started on the COBOL hacks in
> big aerospace companies... I _still_ see some of that code in "Oracle"
> systems, and it is still amazing that it even works.

Granted. But those were programmers and not Programmers.

I personally believe that programming is an art form and not a skill. It cannot be learned or taught. You are either born with the inherant ability to be a Programmer, or you are not. It is like having a talent for music, or sculpture or painting...

Unfortunately, in today's market programming is a lost art, and programmers are a dime a dozen.

> I think those of us who have made it through more than a couple of
> decades may simply have been more suited to the work than those who
> just did it for a couple years then went off to do something else -
> who remembers them? Now there are more people who are less suited,
> and the ones that could be better are outnumbered and hence,
> "outvoted" in the type and quality of work.

I can relate to that. Often have to hear in the office that there's no time for basic design documentation or even proper design as it is more important to rush a shoddy piece of software into production. Never mind that the support and maintenance issues caused, cost more time and effort than the time and effort of a proper designed solution.

What really irks me though is that these type of programmer (note the lower case) are in awe of their own greatness in producing (crap) software in such a short time.

--
Billy