long to clob with ms_word "open quote"

From: Ian <ivanderpoel_at_dlwc.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 7 Sep 2003 17:39:18 -0700

I am having problems converting "special characters" in data type long columns to clob.

I have data containing ms_word "open quote" and "close quote" in long columms in an Oracle 8.1.7 database. Converting to 9.2.0.4 , long to long, converts these characters to an unprintable character.

If I create a table using a clob column and convert the long to clob using TO_LOB on the 8.1.7 database the same problem occurs. Converting to blob works. From all the documentation I have read a LONG column should be able to be converted to a CLOB column but this does not seem to be the case? Is this correct.

Thanks for your help! Received on Sun Sep 07 2003 - 19:39:18 CDT