Re: newbie creating a database manually

From: Harald Maier <maierh_at_myself.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:56:11 +0200

lunchboxglass_at_yahoo.com (lbox) writes:

> I am new to oracle. I am trying to create a database manually. All
> goes well except I cannot connect using OEM or other oracle tools. If
> I connect through sqlplus on the server all is fine.
>
> I have read several articles on the site (about 10 hours) to try to
> determine what the issue is. First I set
> remote_login_passwordfile=NONE. I received the 010131: Insufficient
> privleges. Based on some articles I read, I tried to set
> remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE. Only to recieve an error that I
> was missing my password file. I would rather use OS authentication so
> I am going back to remote_login_passwordfile=NONE.
>
> I am lost can anyone tell me when creating a database manually how to
> enable access through OEM? Or at least where to look or what
> file/files are causing my disconnect?
>
> My ORACLE_SID is correct.
> I think the tnsnames.ora is correct(copied/edited from autocreate
> database instance).
> I can connect using sqlplus on the server.

Here the error description (I assume you mean 1031 instead of 10131):

$ oerr ora 01031
01031, 00000, "insufficient privileges"

// *Cause: An attempt was made to change the current username or password
//         without the appropriate privilege. This error also occurs if
//         attempting to install a database without the necessary operating
//         system privileges.
//         When Trusted Oracle is configure in DBMS MAC, this error may occur
//         if the user was granted the necessary privilege at a higher label
//         than the current login.
// *Action: Ask the database administrator to perform the operation or grant
//          the required privileges.
//          For Trusted Oracle users getting this error although granted the
//          the appropriate privilege at a higher label, ask the database
//          administrator to regrant the privilege at the appropriate label.

Harald Received on Sat Sep 06 2003 - 02:56:11 CDT