Re: Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2003 16:34:50 -0700

"Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:<3f577fce$1_at_rutgers.edu>...
> "tom thayer" <tomthayer2_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> ODBC, eh? What version of Oracle is the HPUX box running? Is it running
> Unix or Linux or Windows?

Since no one else said it, hp-ux is an operating system. Should post the version, though.

> I assume the SQL Server is running on a Microsoft system; are you using ODBC
> to connect to SQL Server?
>
> Here's my guess at the answers above: I'm guessing that the HP-UX is not
> running Windows, so you're limited to ODBC. The SQL Server's box is
> probably running an NT-based Windows O/s (Windows NT 3.5/4 or Win2k or
> Win2003 server). You're probably using an OLE DB provider when you connect
> to SQL Server, but the "reliable dinosaur" ODBC for connecting to your
> Oracle. So I'm pointing towards ODBC as the bottleneck. Try loading Oracle
> onto a Win2k server, and if it's at least Oracle 8, you can use Oracle's OLE
> DB Provider. (Don't use the Microsoft OLE DB for Oracle driver, I found it
> to be unreliable.)

Going from hp-ux to Win2k, unless it is some really old box, is likely a BIG step down.

> The Oracle system might also be tuned incorrectly. I believe some operating
> systems could induce paging (swap file usage) depending on the memory asked
> of it. So you say the HP UX box has a large amount of memory- if the SGA
> was tuned for a large amount of memory, but the o/s converts that SGA size
> into a swap file, you could be getting hurt by disc access. Dropping the
> SGA size might help.

swapinfo -a would tell, but it would have to be seriously misconfigured. I'd say, if you don't know what hp-ux is, you might withhold giving advice about it.

> Also, were separate tablespaces used for indexes & tables? Or is everything
> in one tablespace?

Since other people will beat you up for this, I'll just ask, why do you think separation will help?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/business/news_1b5defense.html