newbie creating a database manually

From: lbox <lunchboxglass_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2003 10:52:05 -0700

I am new to oracle. I am trying to create a database manually. All goes well except I cannot connect using OEM or other oracle tools. If I connect through sqlplus on the server all is fine.

I have read several articles on the site (about 10 hours) to try to determine what the issue is. First I set remote_login_passwordfile=NONE. I received the 010131: Insufficient privleges. Based on some articles I read, I tried to set remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE. Only to recieve an error that I was missing my password file. I would rather use OS authentication so I am going back to remote_login_passwordfile=NONE.

I am lost can anyone tell me when creating a database manually how to enable access through OEM? Or at least where to look or what file/files are causing my disconnect?

My ORACLE_SID is correct.
I think the tnsnames.ora is correct(copied/edited from autocreate database instance).
I can connect using sqlplus on the server. Received on Fri Sep 05 2003 - 12:52:05 CDT