Re: Oracle can be Case Insensitive ?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 4 Sep 2003 17:53:00 -0500

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003, howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:

>> Go to asktom.  Type in dbms_output and then DBMS_OUTPUT.  You
>> get the same number of hits.  Then, when you look at the two
>> answers, you see that the application code turned it to lower.
>> Okay, yeah, I see, he did this little workaround to give the
>> _illusion_ of a case insensitive world to the users of his
>> site.  But, when one searches his site, they are in a case
>> insensitive mindset.

> You might be. PerSoNaLLy, I like TO kNow the CaSe of the datA
> I'M working with. Sometimes, it makes a difference.

LOL!
> Seriously: I know there are *times* when you need to be case
> careless. But it's not a generic thing, that's all.
>

>> When I'm on a search site, that is my world for that moment,
>> and that world is case insensitive.  Just one example of the
>> fact that we don't live in a case-insensitive world.

> I'm sure that penultimate world should have read 'sensitive'?
> Otherwise, you'd be agreeing with me -and that would never
> do. Surely?

Ah, come on Howard. I don't know if I've ever _really_ disagreed with you. I don't frequently post anymore, but I read almost all of your posts. I don't think I have a history of responses to you which would make you think I wouldn't be able to agree with you?

>>We live in a
>> world that has different flavors of case sensitivity for the
>> different situations.

> Exactly my point, actually. And as I pointed out to our OP< for
> different situations, there are different workarounds.
>
>>But, Oracle only supports the case
>> sensitive version of any of these.  The application
>> programmers have to program for the rest of those cases,
>> exactly as people suggest, upper/lower()...

> Er, again... exactly what I wrote.

I went back and reread your post. I'm sorry, I was lumping your response in with Sybrands, as though all were of the, "this isn't SQLServer..." flavor. You are correct, you didn't actually try and defend it. I apologize. I have seen too many posts trying to defend the limitation, as though it was a feature, instead of just saying how to workaround it and move on.

Cheers.

--
Galen Boyer