Re: Oracle can be Case Insensitive ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 05:50:40 +1000

Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
>>
>> No, Rob, it can't be case insensitive, because we live in a
>> case sensitive world.
>
> What world are you talking about? There are boatloads of reasons
> that case insensitivity is needed to be supported, throughout our
> world.

I didn't say it wasn't needed, merely that case sensitivity is something we live with normally, and that Oracle is case sensitive, normally. And that yes, of course there are workarounds for specific purposes, but no there's no quick 'let's be case insensitive' switch.

> Go to asktom. Type in dbms_output and then DBMS_OUTPUT. You get
> the same number of hits. Then, when you look at the two answers,
> you see that the application code turned it to lower. Okay,
> yeah, I see, he did this little workaround to give the _illusion_
> of a case insensitive world to the users of his site. But, when
> one searches his site, they are in a case insensitive mindset.

You might be. PerSoNaLLy, I like TO kNow the CaSe of the datA I'M working with. Sometimes, it makes a difference. Seriously: I know there are *times* when you need to be case careless. But it's not a generic thing, that's all.

> When I'm on a search site, that is my world for that moment, and
> that world is case insensitive. Just one example of the fact
> that we don't live in a case-insensitive world.

I'm sure that penultimate world should have read 'sensitive'? Otherwise, you'd be agreeing with me -and that would never do. Surely?

>We live in a
> world that has different flavors of case sensitivity for the
> different situations.

Exactly my point, actually. And as I pointed out to our OP< for different situations, there are different workarounds.

>But, Oracle only supports the case
> sensitive version of any of these. The application programmers
> have to program for the rest of those cases, exactly as people
> suggest, upper/lower()...

Er, again... exactly what I wrote.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:50:40 CDT