Re: Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:38:11 GMT

Tom,

Why on Earth are you running MS Project 2000 with Oracle? If you ever upgrade to MS Project Server, then you'll need SQL Server. Not that I'm advocating SQL Server over Oracle mind you....but the MS Project line is built for SQL Server. So it is no surprise that it takes advantage of SQL Server techniques and runs faster there. What does M$ have to gain by making their product work better on a competitor's RDMBS?

That being said....

> MSP updates the entire project even if you only change
> a few things.

Unfortunately, you can't change that.

> We have done
> performance tuning and looked at Oracle Performance Manager and TOP
> SQL and see that the sql is optimized.

If you've done performance tuning, then where are your bottlenecks? Have you started a trace in the session to look at what is happening in the database when you save? Performance Manager and Top Sessions may not be showing you everything you need to be looking at. I'd start a trace and see where the bottlenecks are. From there, I'd take appropriate action.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com