Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: tom thayer <tomthayer2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Sep 2003 06:20:21 -0700

We are running Microsoft Project 2000 against tables in a database via ODBC. We have large projects and the performance is terrible when saving changes. MSP updates the entire project even if you only change a few things. The tables in the database are tied into a 3rd party CRM so using MPP files is not an alternative. The database being used is Oracle on an HP-UX system with lots of memory. The database is on a different machine than MSP. The best save times we get are with the Oracle ODBC driver. Even though the save times are long, we note that if we use a SQL Server database (also on different machine), the save times are < 40% of the save times against Oracle. E.g, a save time that took 5 minutes on Oracle only took 2 minutes on SQL Server, or 20 minutes on Oracle only took 5 minutes on SQL Server. We have done performance tuning and looked at Oracle Performance Manager and TOP SQL and see that the sql is optimized. Why is the SQL Server path so much faster than the Oracle path here? Received on Thu Sep 04 2003 - 08:20:21 CDT