Re: How to document a DB

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:52:01 -0700

Rick Denoire wrote:

>Perhaps this is a silly question. I have got the task of documenting a
>DB. I keep this DB up and running (backup, reorganisations,
>configuration, etc.) but I am not familiar with the applications
>running based on it, neither am I familiar with the schema and
>relations (i.e., I don't understand the real sense of data contained
>there in - although I could).
>
>If I compile a document containing key information about tablespaces,
>backup procedure, security issues, stability... that would raise
>eyebrowses. What is expected is a description of the DB based on data
>dependency, workflows, basic data structures from the point of view of
>the users, when data is loaded and who uses them the most for what,
>and, most important, what is to be considered when making any changes
>in order not to break anything.
>
>Since I am not the first one in life with such a task, perhaps someone
>can point me to a standard procedure to setup this documentation. Or
>give me a hint about tools helping me in this question.
>
>We use Oracle 8.1.7 on a Sun E3500/Solaris 7 at the moment.
>
>Thanks a lot
>Rick Denoire

Not to in any way be disparaging ... it sounds like you are not the person to do the job and that what you are about to do is create a huge stack of documents that will never ... ever ... be read by anyone again.

The way to not break things is very well defined in our industry:

  1. Don't ever make changes in a production environemnt that haven't been thoroughly tested on a production clone.
  2. Have a series of scripts in that testing environment that look at the DBA_DEPENDENCIES, DBA_INDEXES, DBA_CONSTRAINTS, and other data dictionary views.

A far better investment in time would be to document a versioning and change management methodology to keep anything from ever being done in production before thorough testing and a management sign-off.

Of course reality is that likely your manager will still want you to waste your time. So ask for a copy of Designer and just reverse engineer the whole thing.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu