Re: Temporary tables in memory

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:26:26 -0700

Chris Jack wrote:

>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<1062520945.556988_at_yasure>...
>

>>Chris Jack wrote:
>>

>>>I'm not sure what you mean by how does the vendor solve the problem.
>>>The result sets are returned via global temporary tables - which are
>>>stored in a temporary tablespace which is stored on disk.
>>>
>>>If there is a method of storing the Oracle temporary tablespace in
>>>memory, then I would agree it was similar to Sybase and similarly
>>>efficient ....
>>>
>>><snipped>
>>>

>>Is all of this about solving a real performance problem or is this just
>>a thinly disguised attempt to slam Oracle for not doing something the
>>way it is done in Sybase?
>>
>>I have been developing in Oracle for more than 14 years and have yet to
>>ever use a temporary table: No need. Perhaps if you approached Oracle
>>development with a thorough understanding of architecture and concepts
>>you'd realize that your concerns are unnecessary ... just as are
>>temporary tables in all but the most unusual of situations.
>>

>I am not trying to have a dig at Oracle and I have tried to be
>entirely even handed in my comments. There is something about
>mentioning Sybase, however legitimately, in an Oracle forum that tends
>to bring out the knives. You find the same thing on Sybase forums when
>Oracle is mentioned.
>
>I think you will find I mentioned that Oracle developers do not
>usually need to use temporary tables so it is unfair to overly
>criticise Oracle for the way it deals with this issue.
>
>I do not intend going down a Sybase v Oracle route. Both products have
>strengths and weaknesses - and if you don't use the product like it
>was intended to be used, you live with the consequences - however I
>cannot fix the vendors port approach, merely attempt to mitigate the
>consequences.
>
>Nor am I trying to defend the vendors port approach - which has been
>substantially modified in the next version of the product.
>
>And yes, I really would benefit greatly from a solution.
>
>If you want to send any flames on this issue, please send it to my
>email account so we don't waste any more public bandwidth.
>
>Regards
>Chris

Not at all I too develop in multipe databaess. But you are the one that mentioned Sybase and it is not Oracle's fault that the following two statements are likely true.

  1. Your vendor did a lousy port.
  2. Your organization should have thoroughly tested and rejected the product rather than purchase it.

In your shoes ... I'd throw the product back at the vendor and get a refund. And if it took an attorney to get their attention ... so be it. More money is wasted working around bad software than what would be required to build it from scratch.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu