How to document a DB

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:02:11 +0200

Perhaps this is a silly question. I have got the task of documenting a DB. I keep this DB up and running (backup, reorganisations, configuration, etc.) but I am not familiar with the applications running based on it, neither am I familiar with the schema and relations (i.e., I don't understand the real sense of data contained there in - although I could).

If I compile a document containing key information about tablespaces, backup procedure, security issues, stability... that would raise eyebrowses. What is expected is a description of the DB based on data dependency, workflows, basic data structures from the point of view of the users, when data is loaded and who uses them the most for what, and, most important, what is to be considered when making any changes in order not to break anything.

Since I am not the first one in life with such a task, perhaps someone can point me to a standard procedure to setup this documentation. Or give me a hint about tools helping me in this question.

We use Oracle 8.1.7 on a Sun E3500/Solaris 7 at the moment.

Thanks a lot
Rick Denoire Received on Wed Sep 03 2003 - 16:02:11 CDT