Re: Importing huge data

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:59:06 GMT

> ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG STOP;
As Daniel pointed out, there is a difference between logging and archiving. This stops the archiving, but not the logging. If your only wish is to stop the excessive archiving then this will work. But the side effect is that you won't be able to fully recover your database from the previous backup. Not what I'd want to do. As I've already said, the tool to use is NOLOGGING and a Direct path load in SQL*Loader. With this option, you can still recover your database. You just won't be able to recover the load operation that you performed. Big difference!!!

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com