Re: Optimal degree of parallelism

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:36:22 +1000

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0309030205.69796c7b_at_posting.google.com...

> Load balancing is usually done by the operating system - or should &
> must be done by the o/s IMO. The reason for me ranting against binding
> processes to a specific CPU (been there, done that and shot myself in
> the foot repeatedly until the shotgun was empty).

Too true. My last bad experience with the "features" was 8.0. It had a few "hiccups" until patched. The architect insisted we should bind CPU's to the big data load processes! That lasted about one trial...

Yup, very much so. My little XP rocks! Nominally, 1.8GHz. But it kicks the **** out of the P4 2GHz at work. Big time.

> pretty darn well under the circumstances. That's the risk of using
> PC-like hardware as a server-type platform. It is not as mature IMO as
> the Unix server hardware. But this is changing.

I read somewhere AMD was getting together with some maker or other to produce server-class solid mobos?

> And technology advances like this puts a new meaning to something like
> grid computing. Methinks that Oracle recognised what oppertunities
> there are in the future and is gearing their core db product for it.

The problem is M$ is there too and with a darn good, cheap and palatable story for the CFO's pocket. It's gonna be an interesting one to watch.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto