Re: Optimal degree of parallelism

From: Saikat Chakraborty <saikatchak_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:10:44 +0000 (UTC)

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0309021109.24b40979_at_posting.google.com

> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote
>
> > > So just why in hell do many people seem to think that PQ can only be
> > > used if you have more than one CPU and that the number of PQ slaves
> > > may not exceed the number of CPUs?
> >
> > Because "the book" says so? And whatever "the book" says
> > shall not be questioned?
>
> Which book is that Noons? I have not seen any literature that says
> "thou cannot run PQ to achieve performance improvements on a single
> CPU platfom" myself.

<Very good stuff snipped>
Great! that proves my observation. I understand in Unix systems, each process must give up the CPU for other process between cycles. That means even in single processor systems can get some good performance in PQ.
In addition, once I ran a PQ on a 64 processer machine (Compaq GS 320) and got carried way.
I used a degree or parallelism of 64 on a 80 million table. The performance
dropped sharply. That shows even a high degree of PQ slaves with enough resource is not good enough.
About my first question, the peer pointed out that from a book from Oracle
press by an author with a 'D' starting his first name. Therefore I told him
to stop believing him <g>