Re: drop user hangs

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 21:46:42 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

>What's wrong with holding software vendors to their claims?
>Especially "our" software vendor! And what's wrong with expecting
>businesses to be responsible for their employee's work actions, as
>they legally are? If they built electric transmission grids the way
>software programmers wrote programs... oh, never mind! :-)
>
>jg
>--
>@home.com is bogus.
>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20030830-9999_1b30golf.html

Nothing is wrong with holding a vendor's feet to the fire. But one must demonstrate personal responsibility and be reasonable rather than act like some litigation-mad ambulance chasing attorney.

Claims related to footprint, benchmark performance, specific functionality: Absolutely! And I will gladly send critical messages to Mark Townsend and his people when they fail to meet such claims.

But marketing claims that are obvious fluff ... such as "Whiter whites and brighter brights", "You'll stay fresh all day" or "Unbreakable" are not intended to be statements of literal fact and if you can figure out how to craft a WHERE clause you have enough mental horsepower to distinguish between the two types of statements. Nothing is "unbreakable" ... not even the planet earth. Or haven't you noticed the recent news stories about the asteroid
(http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/09/02/asteroid.reut/index.html).

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu