Re: Connection between Oracle 9i Server and Oracle 8i Client using JDBC

From: Turkbear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:12:49 -0500

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Tom wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I use oracle 8i client to connect via JDBC driver (Tomcat) to oracle
>>9i server (HP-UX) and I have some problems with this configuration. It
>>seems that server does not close connections even though the statement
>>con.close() is properly executed. It never happened with 8i server. Now
>>I often get "ORA-27102: out of memory HP-UX Error: 12 :Not enough
>>space ....". Do you think that moving to oracle 9i client will fix
>>this problem. Is there any significant difference between 8i and 9i
>>client?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Tom
>>

>I can't think of a single reason why anyone would attempt to communicate
>with Oracle 9i using the 8i client. No software has ever been written to
>be forward compatible.

Well, I can think of several, including clients that have not yet installed the 9i software ( with several hundred spread over a large geographical area, there is no instant update feasible) or those that need to communicate with v7 Oracle databases ( yes, some still exist) and do not want the hassle of multiple Oracle clients being installed.

The 9i listener is 'backward' compatible ( as is the database itself, if such a concept applies) , so no 'forward' compatibility is needed.. Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 13:12:49 CDT