Re: sybase to oracle migration

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:25:23 -0700

VENKSFC wrote:

>Hi,
>

> Can you please update me on the key points to be noted before
> attempting migration of data from Sybase to Oracle.
>

>Regards,
>

>M.N.VENKATESH
>

>--

To be of any help we need to know what it is you are migrating and from what version of Sybase to what verison and edition of Oracle. Are you migrating data? Table structures? Procedures and triggers?

Many things in Sybase have no equivalent in Oracle and the reverse is true. Oracle has sequences, not auto numbering. Oracle has BEFORE and AFTER table triggers at both row and statement level. Sybase has locks as a finite resource whereas in Oracle locking is not a limiting resource. In Sybase writes block reads whereas in Oracle they do not.

Thus detailed information is required.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu