Oracle Net remote buffer product?

From: Michael Moore <hicamel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Sep 2003 08:42:49 -0700

We have a situation where we DL data from a centralized database to Laptops at remote locations. The same data is DL'd to each laptop. For example, in Redding, 14 laptops will DL the same Customer data from our main computer in SF. The download is done using a Database Link between an 8i database on the laptop and the main Oracle 7 database. We cannot change the applications or the way the DL is done. Also, we are having trouble with the session being intermitantly dropped,but I am not directly addressing that problem here. However, anything that could reduce the duration of a single DL (about 2 hrs) would also reduce the window of opportunity for a dropped session.

I was wondering if there is some product that works with Oracle Net (or should I call if SqlNet given the V7) that would act as a data buffer at the remote location so that as laptop1 drags the data across the network, laptop2 (which is essentially requesting the same data) would get the data from a local buffer. The product would have to be transparent to the DL process.

Other than a product such as this, any other ideas given the constraints that we cannot not change the application? Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 10:42:49 CDT