RE: Why so many Gay Oracle people?

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:59:06 +1000

Hi All,

There are some big errors in the post below. Firstly, the passage quoted is in fact from Leviticus 20, not Romans 1. It says that God decreed the death penalty for sodomy in the nation of ancient Israel, the people of God at that time. The punishment was severe because the rule was important. The New Testament reinforces the prohibition of sodomy among the people of God, now the church, but leaves the judgment to God himself. The church should rebuke and correct Christians who commit sodomy, and if that fails we should treat them as though they are not in fact Christian at all.

Our message to non-Christians, whether they be gay or straight, is all about heaven and hell and Jesus' death on their behalf. It is only Christians that we should be putting the hard word on about living by God's rules. After all, it is perfectly consistent for someone who rejects God himself, to reject his rules too. We have nothing to talk to gay non-Christians about other than to tell them that their eternal destiny will depend upon their attitude to Jesus (which is exactly what we should be saying to straight non-Christians too).

It is also wrong to say that God hates gays, and that Christians should do so too. God is angry about defiant sin whatever it may be. But he loved us sinners enough to come up with and go through with his plan that involved Jesus taking the punishment in our place. All Christians should kindle a similar love in their hearts for those who remain in defiance of God, even if the manifestations of that defiance are offensive or upsetting to them.

If anyone wants me to back up the above statements from the Bible, please reply offline.

@ Regards,
@ Steve Adams
@ http://www.ixora.com.au/ - For DBAs
@ http://www.christianity.net.au/ - For all