Re: Newbie on Oracle Installation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:38:35 -0700

Joe wrote:

> as he is just a newbie
> i think it is the fastest way to make the thing work
> of course reading the documentation before is good
> but somehow it may confuse him more
>
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > "Sherman H." wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Windows 2000 server setup at home and am thinking of installing
> > > Oracle on the server. I have a 9i Enterprise Edition. Is there handy
> > > documentation that can provide me the installation process. I install
> the
> > > Oracle on the server. Do I Oracle Client installed on the workstation?
> >
> > On the CD is the installation document ... try reading it and following
> the
> > directions.
> >
> > If you can't find the PDF file go to http://docs.oracle.com and download
> it.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> > damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> > (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

I give the OP more credit than that. Anyone that doesn't have the combination of mental horsepower and experience necessary to opena a PDF file, read it, and understand it, should probably be working in MS Access: Not Oracle.

Unfortunately we have arrived at a state of mind in our industry where people wing-it first, ask questions later, and only read the documentation when forced to by something blowing up in their face.

The OP asked before making a mess and that, in and of itself, shows, a degree of competency.

--
Daniel Morgan