Re: Temporary tables in memory

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:51:11 +0100

You can refine this test by checking v$tempstat as the test proceeds. Although an extent has been allocated, that doesn't mean that anything has been written to the tempfile.

In fact, temporary tables have an extra I/O benefit over normal tables - if you truncate a normal table, any dirty blocks are flushed to disc first. If you truncate a temporary table (e.g. by commit for an 'on commit delete rows' table), the blocks are not flushed to disk.

So, although the temporary table blocks populate the buffer cache, they don't necessarily get written to disc.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Finland__September 22nd - 24th
____Norway___September 25th - 26th
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference)

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____USA__October
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> In session 2:
>
> SQL> select * from v$sort_usage;
>
> USERNAME USER
SESSION_
> ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------
--
> SESSION_NUM SQLADDR SQLHASH TABLESPACE
CONTENTS
> ----------- -------- ---------- ------------------------------- ----
-----
> SEGTYPE SEGFILE# SEGBLK# EXTENTS BLOCKS SEGRFNO#
> --------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
> SCOTT SCOTT
682102D8
> 24583 66EBAD24 3093019500 TEMP
TEMPORARY
> DATA 201 9 1 128 1
>
> Whoops! The insertion of an extremely tiny row causes a sort extent
to hit
> disk. (Incdidentally, I have a sort_area_size of 512KB, and you can
see that
> the row length is only a matter of a few tens of bytes)
>
> Conclusion: temporary tables do not get cached in the PGA
(sort_area_sized)