W2K security for Oracle directories?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2003 12:41:13 -0500

We have 19 local development oracle instances in my shop.

    Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
    Windows 2000 Server

I'm trying to set it up so all developers have shared their
"c:/oracle" with an NTSecurity group called ourdbas (which
contains me and the rest of the database team). I can then do behind the scenes maintenance of their local development instances without their having work stoppages.

I first tried having them share the "c:/oracle" directory with that NTSecurity group, but that still didn't allow us to create or delete any files on their drives. I then had one of them modify the security settings of that drive. Even, here, I couldn't quite make sense of the security mechanisms of NT and Oracle together. If I try to revoke access to everyone and grant access to that group, I get "Deny entries take priority over Allow entries, which can cause unintended effects due to group memberships". Even though there won't be any harm done to some development box, I would rather that they don't share the
"c:/oracle" with everybody. Instead, I would like to understand
how to implement this as though the instances actually had importance and needed to be locked down appropriately.

So, what do I need to have a developer do so that he shares his Oracle drive with that dba group but not with the whole world?

Thanks.

--
Galen Boyer