Re: howto detect which index is corrupted

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:04:40 +0100

Comments embedded
"Dominica Leung" <dominica_l_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5f8af180.0308301649.425a43e8_at_posting.google.com...

> We know this SQL use 10 tables and
> We have a UDUMP trace file. But look encrypted.
>
> How would you find out which indexes is corrupted?

Trace files are not encrypted *just* obscure, but TKprof does a good job of making them much more *human readable*.

> I can't answer it immediately, I told interviewer, I pass on this
question.
> But I am still curious even after I went home. I keep thinking about it.
>
> Now, I am thinking you could
> use 'Analyze table validate structure...' to verify.
> But I read Oracle document, it says it will LOCK the table.
>
> The interviewer said Oracle probably has tools to
> decrypte the dump file and find out which indexes.
>
> To me, I was thinking writing simple SQL
> statement to access those indexes. But
> interwiewer said "NO ALLOW".
>
> I wonder how to find out.
> without using "Analyze table validate..".
>

> Thank you in advance, any ideas/suggestion are welcome!!
> I am still very curious about it.

I share with others the idea that this is a very unfair interview question (this from a man who asks 'read any good books lately' as an interview question) . What they *might* have been after from your paraphrase is

Log onto metalink
log an itar
use the ora-0600 lookup utility to see if there is a common cause and resolution for this problem
if not work with oracle support to resolve the issue.

but a shop that expects its DBAs to know what ora-0600 arguments may or may not mean is asking the impossible in my view. Asking what you do with 0600 seems reasonable though.

Also not allowing a second means of finding stuff out is an unfair interview tactic. The DBA role is to resolve issues not blindly follow routines. (which doesn't mean don't be systematic)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--