Re: reclaim space

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:40:25 +1000

"Joe" <joe.yung_at_ecl-consulting.com> wrote in message news:3f530bed$1_at_newsgate.hknet.com...
> I am thinking if "alter table move" or "alter index rebuild" will move the
> data to the front end of a local managed datafile?
> and then i coalesce the datafile and resize it.
>
> It is possible?

No. Move and rebuild will place the data wherever Oracle deems it appropriate, and that is rather more likely to be at the back-end of the data file than the front.

The suggestion was that you should create a brand new tablespace, and move and rebuild into that, then drop the original tablespace... and I'd agree that's going to be the best way of achieving what you want.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Sep 01 2003 - 04:40:25 CDT