Re: Materialized View vs. Manual summary job

From: Christian Svensson <chse30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2003 01:26:28 -0700

jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com (John) wrote in message news:<f2f59d82.0308290743.fd15b4d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi Christian,
>
> Look into Materilaized view log and become familiar with the concept
> of "fast refresh", "complete refresh" and "query rewrite".

I have sofar only roughly read about these concepts, but I am not sure if the fast refresh mechanism do the new summary as a delta summary job using only the new data to refresh it ?

> Materialized can help you in several ways. It shedules a job to update
> your datamart so you don't have to do it manually. Also, if fast
> refresh is possible, it will of course improve the loading
> performance. If "query rewrite" kicks in during your querying the
> datamart, the response time will improve.

This feature will we not use, because Cognos selects from our datamarts. No user are querying the fact tables directly (unless for drill down to detail data).

> BTW, are you using any third party OLAP tool? Or are you just using
> SQL*PLUS to generate reports out of the datamart?

We use scheduled PL/SQL jobs that generate the datamarts and Cognos as the report tools, so Cognos selects from our datamarts to generate the cubes that the users query against.

Thanks for the comments by the way. I will immediately look into the urls and dig deep into this.

/Christian Received on Mon Sep 01 2003 - 03:26:28 CDT