Re: Select Function Returning Results of Select on Tables

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:14:11 -0700

Burt Peltier wrote:

>I did search Google before this. I don't see any example that does what I
>would like to do. I saw some things that are close.
>
>I would like to create a function that I can select which does some
>processing to create a global temporary table and then returns a select on
>the global temporary table.
>
>I am running Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 8 .

You stated what you would like, above. I would like to convince you that this is about as poor an idea,
from the standpoint of scalability, performance, design, and architecture as you could put on a wish list.

I can not conceive of a single valid reason to do this and my instinct is that it betrays a complete lack of
understanding of Oracle architecture, what GTT's are, and how they should be used.

So rather than help you do something so apparently appalling I would suggest you tell us what the probelm
is that you are trying to solve and let us suggest a better way to solve it.

Sorry if this was a bit harsh ... but I wanted you to get a flavor for how it struck me and I think the above is a fair representation.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu