Re: howto detect which index is corrupted

From: MK <imanoj_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2003 16:40:21 -0700

dominica_l_at_yahoo.com (Dominica Leung) wrote in message news:<5f8af180.0308301649.425a43e8_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I went to an oracle DBA job interview the other day.
> They ask this question.
>
> 1) When application running a SQL statement and
> get ORA-600 errors.
>
> From the argument of ORA-600, the DBA go and look up
> and find out "SQL can't be execute due to index corrupted".
>
> We know this SQL use 10 tables and
> We have a UDUMP trace file. But look encrypted.
>
> How would you find out which indexes is corrupted?
>
> I can't answer it immediately, I told interviewer, I pass on this question.
> But I am still curious even after I went home. I keep thinking about it.
>
> Now, I am thinking you could
> use 'Analyze table validate structure...' to verify.
> But I read Oracle document, it says it will LOCK the table.
>
> The interviewer said Oracle probably has tools to
> decrypte the dump file and find out which indexes.
>
> To me, I was thinking writing simple SQL
> statement to access those indexes. But
> interwiewer said "NO ALLOW".
>
> I wonder how to find out.
> without using "Analyze table validate..".
>

> Thank you in advance, any ideas/suggestion are welcome!!
> I am still very curious about it.
>

> Dominica Leung

As interviewer told you, that 'DBA analyzed and found the cause and look in UDUMP direcory', all he was looking for you to mention tkprof utility to generate a human redable file from the trace file which are generated normally when any error happens. I hope this addresses your concern. Received on Sun Aug 31 2003 - 18:40:21 CDT