Re: Temporary tables in memory

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:23:45 -0500

One opinion/thought with some questions.... further testing needed...

Global tempoary tables are stored in the temporary tablespace, but I see your point in that you assume this is disk I/O...

I have looked at the docs and it is not clear if a global temporary table would use the sort_area_size memory area of a session if it were large enough?

Since other operations use the sort_area_size of memory before going to the temporary tablespace, it would be nice if this worked that way too.

Then, assuming you have the memory, you could just allocate more memory to each session's sort_area_size .