Re: howto detect which index is corrupted

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:27:40 -0700

MK wrote:

> dominica_l_at_yahoo.com (Dominica Leung) wrote in message news:<5f8af180.0308301649.425a43e8_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I went to an oracle DBA job interview the other day.
> > They ask this question.
> >
> > 1) When application running a SQL statement and
> > get ORA-600 errors.
> >
> > From the argument of ORA-600, the DBA go and look up
> > and find out "SQL can't be execute due to index corrupted".
> >
> > We know this SQL use 10 tables and
> > We have a UDUMP trace file. But look encrypted.
> >
> > How would you find out which indexes is corrupted?
> >
> > I can't answer it immediately, I told interviewer, I pass on this question.
> > But I am still curious even after I went home. I keep thinking about it.
> >
> > Now, I am thinking you could
> > use 'Analyze table validate structure...' to verify.
> > But I read Oracle document, it says it will LOCK the table.
> >
> > The interviewer said Oracle probably has tools to
> > decrypte the dump file and find out which indexes.
> >
> > To me, I was thinking writing simple SQL
> > statement to access those indexes. But
> > interwiewer said "NO ALLOW".
> >
> > I wonder how to find out.
> > without using "Analyze table validate..".
> >

> > Thank you in advance, any ideas/suggestion are welcome!!
> > I am still very curious about it.
> >

> > Dominica Leung
>
> As interviewer told you, that 'DBA analyzed and found the cause and
> look in UDUMP direcory', all he was looking for you to mention tkprof
> utility to generate a human redable file from the trace file which are
> generated normally when any error happens. I hope this addresses your
> concern.

That may be what the interviewer was looking for but it is not what the interviewer appears to have asked. I think the question, was paraphrased here, was totally out of line and unllikely to elicit any useful information about the candidate's qualifications. It strikes me as a display to testosterone and little else.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/aoa/aoa_main.asp