Re: DBMS_METADATA.GET_XML

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:42:48 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F4E95D1.8A43A214_at_exxesolutions.com...

> My question was, how are you using the functionality?

The metadata is extracted from the Oracle schema for each table, view and object-type we want to access, into XML "schema" files. This is then fed into a code generator that uses also the classes defined by Jpub to create the DAO framework for our J2EE beans.

I design the schema(s) with Designer, generate them on the database, then a PL/SQL package extracts the XML and the object types.

Then the generator and Jpub are called on this output by the Websphere WSAD environment. Kinda like running a script.

The classes end up in the developer's folders in WSAD, ready to use. The exact movements of this last bit are outside of my detailed knowledge as you may imagine: Websphere is not my cuppa. I just got the Oracle side of this.

There was of course a bit of prior "hand-shaking" with the Java designer to get this going. They specified what they needed and I found a way of getting it.

The DAOs use a simple CRUD interface to the Oracle objects. Each object has a PL/SQL package that handles the CRUD stuff plus any special processing that may be needed. Usually this takes the form of functions that return REF CURSORs so that the Java folks can use them to get data, rather than figuring out complex SQL queries: I can write the queries many times faster than they can.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto