Re: Oracle 8i and a starter kit package

From: Bob . <nemail_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:40:48 +1000

Niall Litchfield wrote in message
<3f4dd51c$0$255$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
:"Bob ." <nemail_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
:news:bikj64$a7a81$1_at_ID-190262.news.uni-berlin.de...
:> I recently bought a book 'oracle 8i for widowas NT starter kit'
:>
:> This book purported to have a 60 day trial copy of Oracle 8i enterprise
:> edition, however when i laoded this the installation interface was
:suppose
:> to give me three option to choose from
:> a. Oracle 8i enterprise edition 8.1.5.0.0
:> b. Oracle 8i Client 8.1.5.0.0
:> c. Oracle programmer 8.1.5.0.0
:> Only option b and c were presented. leaves me feeling ripped off. What
:> happened to a. ???
:> Could this because I am running windows 98 and not NT therefore cannot
be
:> the server only the client and it thus chose not to present me with this
:> option.
:
:In a word yes. 8i Server will run on 2000 or XP Professional if you wish to
:upgrade your operating system. If you get yourself a free subscription to
:otn.oracle.com you will find that you can obtain a non-expiring not for
:production use copy of all the Oracle software either via download (if you
:have broadband) on on CD for a small price. I'd certainly advise you to get
:either 817 (if you wish to follow the book) or 9.2 if you wish to use
:current software.
:

Thanks Niall Received on Thu Aug 28 2003 - 22:40:48 CDT