Re: Changing database ID

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:19:11 +0200

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Why not create the new database with just the SYSTEM, UNDO, and TEMP
>tablespaces and then transport the tablespaces?

Let me explain. Actually, I won't be copying anything. We use an intelligent Raid device that is able to build "Snapshot LUNs" on the fly, so one gets a virtual copy of the files. The device itself makes physical copies of changed data to the copy LUN blockwise as these are altered. The LUN containing the "clone" contains only changed blocks (I am not talking about Oracle blocks here). Neither the OS or Oracle notice anything about this; the Snapshot LUN is being seen as an independent device. The advantage being that one needs by far less physical space and the copy takes place instantaneously.

Your remedy wouldn't take advantage of these Raid features (this is all using an EMC CX-400 attached via fibre channel to a Sun 3500, Oracle 8.1.7 at the moment).

Any other idea?

Rick Received on Thu Aug 28 2003 - 18:19:11 CDT